Register now for immediate access to this program.Register Now
$105 for Non-Members
July 16, 2020
Chester County Bar Association
General Training Description:
Join us to learn about the benefit to your practice by shifting your mindset from “What’s wrong with you?” to “What happened to you?” Attorneys represent people who have experienced all forms of trauma. This training will present foundational information about trauma and its impact on the brain and body and will focus on providing real world strategies to engage clients so as not to re-traumatize and to enhance their representation.
- Participants will define trauma, and discuss different types of trauma, including complex, historical, and collective trauma.
- Participants will understand how the experience of trauma can create a prolonged stress response and will identify the secondary effects this may have on brain development and functioning as well as physical and emotional health.
- Participants will apply this information to practice and gain strategies for engaging with clients sensitively and reducing the potentially re-traumatizing aspects of court.
- Introduction and Learning Objectives
- Definition of trauma, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) study, complex trauma and historical and collective trauma
- Discussion of impact of trauma on brain and body, physical and mental health
- Introduction to Trauma-Informed Care
- Implications for Legal Practice
Program Titles and Supporting Materials
This program contains the following components:
If applicable, you may obtain credit in multiple jurisdictions simultaneously for this program (see pending/approved list below). If electing credit for this program, registrants in jurisdictions not listed below will receive a Certificate of Completion that may or may not meet credit requirements in other jurisdictions. Where applicable, credit will be only awarded to a paid registrant completing all the requirements of the program as determined by the selected accreditation authority.
How to Attend
Join the self-paced program from your office, home, or hotel room using a computer and high speed internet connection. You may start and stop the program at your convenience, continue where you left off, and review supporting materials as often as you like. Please note: Internet Explorer is no longer a supported browser. We recommend using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari for best results.
You may access this course on a computer or mobile device with high speed internet (iPhones require iOS 10 or higher). Recommended browsers are Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.